2019. szeptember 7., szombat

Endgame fanfiction VI


End of a Dream VI
I only remember the lights. Only colors and lights. Yellow, orange, some blue and green.
Then we found ourselves amongst the buildings; the street covered with wreckage, plaster and concrete debris; all covered by the slowly falling, light gray dust, and smelled smoke in the air. Bodies were lying among the ruins. Not human bodies.
From afar I heard the sound of a siren, but otherwise there was silence.
There's a silent metropolis.
We were in Manhattan; the battle was over, the Avengers won.
Do we have to repeat this victory?
We took off the quantum suit. Underneath, we wore ordinary outfits that weren't striking, and the Captain got the version of his suit he wore at that time.
Rogers turned to Tony.
"Everything is alright?"
Stark looked around then nodded.
"Yeah." He extended his hand to his partner and looked into his eyes. "Tell me, Captain, do you trust me?"
I do."
"That's okay," Iron Man said, but I could see his relief. “The Tesseract is still with us, but it will be shipped away. That's what Judith and I will manage it. Captain, you deal the scepter; Doctor, you find the wizard in the sanctuary."
Banner stood beside me, listening to the noises and movements; he seemed very alert. In one side street, amidst a huge roar and rumble the 2012 Hulk caught the ground and, with that momentum, turned a wrecked car onto some surviving Chitauri, then picked up a motorbike and threw it after them. I looked at Bruce, who smiled a bit shyly and tore off his shirt.
"Everything according to plan," he murmured; he stepped over to an abandoned, shattered car, slammed it and half-heartedly roared. I admit, the windows didn't shake, but it didn't matter. Bruce looked back once more and then, with Hulk's huge leap, he disappeared out of our sight.
Steve took another look around then started ahead toward a characteristic building with decided strides.
"Come." Stark said. We followed Rogers a few meters behind.
Where we went, there were barely a few people. Nobody stopped us. Who would dare to stop Tony Stark, the hero of the battle? The traffic in the Stark Tower was already much higher. Tony stopped in front of two guards in one of the corridors.
"You two should come with me immediately!"
"Sir ..." the masked-helmeted commando of the SHIELD began.
"I'm still pretty huffy after what happened," Iron Man growled. "So don't start anything, because I don't care. You don't want to annoy me, do you?"
Hereupon the two soldiers said nothing, they just came after us. As we turned around the corner, we both paused and touched the guards behind us with a shocker in our hands. Both collapsed.
We pulled the unconscious soldiers away, dragged them into a smaller, closed office, which Tony opened using his fingerprint and we freed them from their uniforms. When we put on their clothes, Tony surveyed me.
"Umm… Try to look like a commando, a grim soldier." He murmured. "This is the SHIELD's tactical unit. Tough guys."
I adjusted the SIG in its holder, put on my helmet and mask, arranged the harness with many pockets wearing over my jacket and pulled myself out.
"Yeah," Stark looked with his head tilted. "Will be good. Come on!"
We headed to the foyer where the main entrance was. According to Tony's memories - and our plans - the whole rally moved through here; with the Tesseract, Loki, Thor and a smaller army.
I glanced at the clock; Tony raised his thumb to indicate we were all fine, on time. And then we waited. A long time.
But they didn't come.
I felt a strong urge to push down the helmet to the ground, but I didn't. I stood firm and listened to Stark swearing on the radio.
"We came from a different reality, maybe the past isn't quite the same," he said as he calmed down. We'll improvise."
In the corner of a completely deserted corridor, Tony took off his mask and looked me straight in the eye.
"I ask you what I questioned from the Captain before: do you trust me?"
"Yes," I answered without hesitation.
"We need to find a way to get the Tesseract. And for that we'll free Loki."
I started blinking.
"Tony… I don't think this is… You and Loki were fighting each other a few hours before. He wanted to kill you. He wanted to subdue our world. Do you want to free the man who caused your nightmares?"
"I'm aware of these. And also know that he will not sure to glad to see us. But he is clever and his tricks ... they would come in handy now. By the way, if it costs me to regain my family, my old life, and prevent further catastrophe, I will do a deal with Loki against the Black Order and Thanos. Whatever it takes, we all said this. So if you still trust me..."
"Of course I do!"
"… Then let's find this son of a b... gun."
I think we were pretty convincing as the SHIELD commandos, and we were going through the hallways firmly. Stark knew exactly where we were going, and I was hoping everything would go well.
"We are the next shift." He told the two guards at the door, and I used the Power of Dreams to make them to think so.
One of the two commandos nodded, and then they left without a single word.
Iron Man pretended to look at his watch.
"The cameras get a fake picture of us and the situation inside," I heard his voice in the tiny earpiece. And because I wanted it, the sunglasses that looked black from the outside turned into mini projectors. Part of what I saw was the empty corridor, the remote elevator door; and I saw a picture taken by the cameras, stored by Tony and now played endlessly: the two guards stood motionless in front of the cell. The other shot was the image of the inner camera: a black-green-gold dressed, black-haired, slim figure turned his back on the camera.
"Okay," Tony whispered. "Open sesame."
We entered.
The prisoner turned slowly.
My mouth became dry.
There were red bruises on Loki's temple and forehead; his face was half covered by a metal mask that prevented him from speaking. Handcuffs were clanking on his wrists.
Stark stepped closer and pulled his H&K pistol out of the holder and held it to the forehead of the Asgardian.
"In case it's unclear. We'll take you out of there. Because we want you to help us. My partner removes the mask from you." The man checked the gun with a quick gesture, and ice cold hatred flashed in Loki's eyes. "If you try to escape, if you try anything, I will blow away your skull. At such a distance there is no trick to save you. Nod if you understand."
Loki's hatred disappeared from his eyes, a mocking light replaced it then he shrugged and nodded.
"Get it off." Iron Man gave the order.
The 'Asgardian collar' was a tricky device; its magic was used to prevent wizards, witches, and all sorts of magic practitioners from using their science. It was not known on Earth.
But, thanks to my memories from the other reality where Thor told me the secret of the device, I knew how to free Loki from it. And indeed, the 'Asgardian collar' lay on my palm like a small disk.
"Can I speak?" The black-haired Asgardian raised his shackled hands slowly, carefully. "I just want to know who you are, what you want in exchange for my freedom, and how could you free me from what my brother put on me?"
Iron Man took off his mask with one hand and the pistol in his other hand continued to point to Loki's forehead.
"Wow." Loki was surprised and he didn't even try to hide it. "Tony Stark personally. Don't you want to offer money, do you? We are beyond intimidation, too."
"I offer you the opportunity to make amends for everything," said Stark and Loki grinned broadly, mockingly. "My partner is really talented at persuading."
"Oh. This has already been played with me by Director Fury and Agent Romanoff. Can't you show something new?"
"Of course, I do" I walked over to the man, touching his forehead with my right hand and releasing my nightmare, pictures and feelings, all of which almost killed me on a strange dawn in last April .
The Asgardian grunted, his hands suddenly touched his neck and leaned against the metal wall behind him. His face turned gray and gasped for air.
"Who the hell are you?" He asked when he got air again. "What was that?"
"A possible future," I replied, and took off the mask, "which we can avoid with your help."
"We've came from the future, we can travel in time," Stark said. "So either you help us or I shoot you down and search for another, a persuadable Loki in the Multiverse. Make a quick decision!"
The Asgardian's eyes flashed. Loki was super clever and could think very fast.
"Good. I'll get to know you later,” he turned to me, but froze like he saw something very strange. "Oh," he whispered, "you have something." He closed his eyes. "I can feel it... You're a Stonekeeper. One of the Stones of Magic."
"Great. Now you have something common interest" Stark interjected. "We would take the handcuff off you if we knew you wouldn't turn against us immediately or make off."
"You're wise, Stark," the Asgardian smiled.
"That's why you're going to swear an oath that can't be broken," I returned the smile.
"No such oath! I know the Asgardian magic well!"
"Well, then take the oath, then give it a try. Swear on your life, then let's see."
"My mother is the greatest Asgardian sorceress and she taught me."
"How do you know she didn't teach me?" Loki laughed, but his voice died quickly. "We're time travelers, you forget?" I winked at him.
The Asgardian's gaze held mine. It was inquisitive; very old - and lonely. Ever since I entered the cell, it has been in my head that he is not the Loki I know, he is just like him, he is…
He was Loki and that's all.
The black-haired Asgardian finally nodded.
"I'll help you if you get me out of here. I'll help you in exchange for my freedom. I am ready to swear on my life that I will not turn against you, will not harm you, will not betray you and will not leave you. Come on, say the words, Stonekeeper."
I thought about Thor's oath and said something similar. I can't remember the words because there was no such oath - or at least I didn't know - but a red aura leaked from the Stone and embraced my right arm reached towards Loki; and then, as the man grabbed my hand, the Asgardian. As the God of the Mischief said the last word, the light disappeared.
"Are you gonna take it off?" The Asgardian held his two hands in front of Tony.
Stark pushed the pistol into the holster and removed the clamp, and the black-haired man rubbed his wrists with satisfaction.
"Put it up!" Tony showed a wristwatch-like gadget, a spare copy of the space-time GPS which he brought with himself; and showed him his own right arm how to wear it. "If you lose or destroy it, you can't travel in time anymore. The suit you need to the jump  you'll get out there. I'll tell the rest on the go. You should disguise yourself."
The God of Mischief transformed himself instantly: Natasha was front of us.
"Like it?" the pseudo-Natasha asked.
"It's wonderful. If you want, you can stay in this form, I don't care." Stark shrugged then started to walk out.
"Who would you like to see next to you, StoneKeeper?" I didn't answer, and Loki transformed himself into his own form then quickly turned into a SHIELD commando.
None of us spoke until we got out of the building.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése